Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Reflection on Class, 13 March

In last week's class, we discussed the ALA Code of Ethics. The discussion went somewhat differently than I had expected; another course I have taken featured a discussion of the Code, but that discussion didn't go much deeper than to apply the Code to various realistic scenarios in order to judge the best response. That's completely valid, of course, and a good way to teach what librarians are expected to do by many others in the profession. But I enjoyed the fact that we had a less clean and clear-cut conversation this time.
As some of my classmates have pointed out, a discussion about that ALA Code of Ethics should take into account that it is not binding. You can't be disbarred from librarianship for allowing a book to be banned. The ramifications for breaching the Code are social and informal, though they still may have a negative impact on a librarian's career or social life. Some librarians may chafe at that - why should they be held by a set of ideals that isn't even imposed by their profession itself, but by a particular organization within that profession? You could say that the concept of librarianship encompasses certain ideals (intellectual freedom, access to information, public service), but that's difficult to argue. When I Google "librarian definition", I get: a person, typically with a degree in library science, who administers or assists in a library. The same process with "library" gives me: a building or room containing collections of books, periodicals, and sometimes films and recorded music for people to read, borrow, or refer to. What in those definitions leads to valuing the protection of users' privacy? The Code of Ethics is a result, then, of years of the collection of individual perspectives on what it means to be a librarian.
For the record, I personally do believe in the ideals set forth in the Code, and I think that they are an excellent set of guidelines for information professionals. But I'm also a person who already believes that censorship, withholding information, and violation of privacy are morally reprehensible in most cases. If faced with a patron who wants to challenge a book or just wants me to pull it from the shelf, I like to think that I would fight against it regardless of the situation. But as we heard in class, not everyone agrees with me there. And it's not as if you have to reject the Code of Ethics entirely in order to think that it's better to judge situations individually. That's a problem with any ethical system; like I said in my last post, it all comes down to intuition.
There's also, like always, the problem of other people. What do you do when you, the perfect champion of intellectual freedom, comes up against someone who doesn't think books about "the homosexual lifestyle" belong in a public library? You can't just hand them the Code of Ethics (what do they care what some fancy organization thinks about it?), and if you're me, you can't tell them what you really think. You can politely tell them about the challenge policy, making it sound as unappealing as possible, and leave it at that, but you're unlikely to appease that patron. I honestly don't know what the answer is, here. Me-me thinks that the library is better off without people like that, but librarian-me wants the library to be as inclusive as possible, even to people I don't particularly like.
Codes of behavior can create some issues, like the ones above. The ways in which they are followed or not followed and the way they interact with other morals and norms can lead to internal and external conflicts. I suppose the best thing to do is to decide if they code you're following solves more problems than it creates.

- K

3 comments:

  1. I like your distinction between you-you and librarian-you. This difference is encoded in the Code of Ethics itself (our personal feelings will not get in the way of the services we provide) but I still find it a tricky line to walk. While working in the library, I want to be authentic. I'd like to think that patrons (or at least some patrons) would like that as well. In the case of youth and teen librarians, we often see children, and sometimes entire families, grow up. They feel that they know us and we know them. But at the same time, we can't be too authentic with some of our opinions. I still haven't come up with a good answer for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the ALA Code of Ethics is so embedded in librarianship that it subconsciously "trains" librarians, current and future, to assimilate the values it represents? Or, are people that are drawn to the "vocation" of librarianship inherently imbued with the values of the ALA Code of Ethics? Another alternative is that those that do not completely believe in the code never speak up, knowing that they are the minority. I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista and I, in preparing our webinar on LGBT*Q young adults, found that one of the best ways to fight back against patrons who challenge a book is to have a very clearly defined collection policy in place that prioritizes inclusion for all topics. Clearly this can perhaps add flame to the argument some people like to use who are like 'Anything? But what about truly illegal things? How about those?' But I feel like those are the people you will probably never win an argument with, because regardless of what you have to say or the policies in place they will just never agree or be placated. Also, we found that if you as a librarian come up against a patron who wants to challenge a book, apparently you are encouraged to contact the ALA for guidance on how to handle the situation, which I wasn't aware of. It's nice that they exist as a potential expert objective body that you can refer people to (even if it may not help).

    ReplyDelete